After my grandparents passed away, my family started to divide up the items. My aunt got all of the family slides and negatives. She had no where to keep them, and asked me if I could store them for her. I have about 2500 slides from the 1950s to the 1980s and about a hundred black and white negatives from the 40s. I've started scanning the black and white negatives and have found quite a few lost family treasures. The below pictures are some of my favorites.
Perhaps those are just true gems in a pile of thousands of photos, but it seems to me when i look at old photos like those that they posess a certain quality that just isn't reflected in most of the terabytes of five megapixel digital microcamera that flood flickr. It seems like taking a picture then was a more well-thought out event and perhaps a more mysterious thing. Of course, those could just be a few that capture the soul, because they do that much quite well.
I think you're right. Film and the cost of developing it were expensive in a time when the nation was trying to dig itself out of the depression. You couldn't just click off a hundred pictures whenever you wanted. I have about a hundred that encompassed 10 years time -- not even one picture a month.
What boggles me even more is that as poor as my family was (you can see a picture with my great and great great grandmothers in front of a well), they still thought it was important to immortalize thier family in film.
5 comments:
I love that car one.
Perhaps those are just true gems in a pile of thousands of photos, but it seems to me when i look at old photos like those that they posess a certain quality that just isn't reflected in most of the terabytes of five megapixel digital microcamera that flood flickr. It seems like taking a picture then was a more well-thought out event and perhaps a more mysterious thing. Of course, those could just be a few that capture the soul, because they do that much quite well.
I think you're right. Film and the cost of developing it were expensive in a time when the nation was trying to dig itself out of the depression. You couldn't just click off a hundred pictures whenever you wanted. I have about a hundred that encompassed 10 years time -- not even one picture a month.
What boggles me even more is that as poor as my family was (you can see a picture with my great and great great grandmothers in front of a well), they still thought it was important to immortalize thier family in film.
wow, the one on the bottom is great, who are the kids in it? Is the little girl Grandma?
jim
The little girl is Aunt Evelyn and the little boy is Charlie Buck. Grandma isn't in that photo.
Post a Comment