Wednesday, May 23, 2007

You Win Some, You Lose Some

Some people knew that I was running for the National Board of Directors spot with my non-profit security organization that I belong to. 6 people were running for 5 spots, so my odds were pretty good. Unfortunately, I lost the election. Bummer. Although I am fairly well recognized in my field in the DC area where I am the chapter Secretary, I am not so much recognized on a National level. Apparently, this is what hurt me in the election. It took me a few days to recover from the loss, as I am now not sure what I am going to do with my professional life for the next 2 years (it would have been a two year term). Some have suggested that I run for the Chapter Chair position of my chapter this year, others have suggested that I run for BOD next year. Whatever it is, I need to do some thinking. Staying active in the organization is a great way to network and give back to the security community. We are a very small group (probably less than 10,000 of us nationwide), so positive networking is a really good way to move up in the profession.

On the other hand, this may be an opportunity for me to focus more on the rest of my life -- perhaps do some charity work or get back into my hobbies. All I know is whatever I am meant to do these next two years, does not include being on the Board.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I, for one, am sorry to hear that you are bummed about the way this election turned out....HOWEVER....

This is a more powerful statement that I think you meant it to be:

"On the other hand, this may be an opportunity for me to focus more on the rest of my life...."

Sometimes God has a plan that is different from our own -- so maybe He just shut this door for a little while..... don't get down!

:)