In an attempt to become a more interesting and well-rounded person, I have joined a Thai cooking class. The owner of Thai Basil in Chantilly holds her own cooking classes in the restaurant. There are 3 classes, each 3 hours long, and you learn to make 3 dishes in each class. Not only do you learn to make them, but at the end, you get to EAT them! All the dishes are items on the menu which makes it even more cool.
The teacher is Nongkran Daks who is a 60 something Thai lady that is probably just about the most hilarious thing I've ever seen. She's the Thai equivalent of the Soup Nazi crossed with a cute little bunny. She'll be telling you how to do things in her sweet little way, but once you ask one stupid question, it's off with your head! For instance, while learning to make mango sticky rice, a classmate innocently said, "So, can we just cook that rice in a rice cooker?"
"NO!!!!!!!!!!" screamed Nongkran, "You never use rice cooker! You use bamboo steamer! You buy next door!"
Apparently, Nongkran must be in cahoots with the Asian market next door to Thai Basil because her answer to everything was "You buy next door!"
At any rate, I've learned how to make a mean curry from scratch and some pretty bitchin pickles made from broccoli stems, daikon and carrots. We'll see if John is still alive after trying my first dish on Friday.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Well, I didn't die. So that's good.
Everything was great! I highly recommend that everyone pressure my wife to make them Thai food. I'm looking forward to the next dish I get to sample.
Awesome. Yeah, I was thinking about learning how to pickle stuff; I've been having dreams about pickled garlic. Yes, I am insane.
The only thing I know how to make anymore is vanilla. As in the baking stuff.
INSTRUCTIONS: Take a liter of Vodka and put vanilla strandy things in it. Promptly drain the bottle and discard. Delish!*
* (Actual recipe involves letting vodka/vanilla sitting for one-month).
Post a Comment