We arrived in Japan a little after 3:30 PM in Narita airport. The airplane taxied for about 20 minutes before finally coming to a halt. We got out, went through customs (customs consisted of a guy asking us: “Are you bringing in anything illegal?” Once we said “no” we were free to go through) and went in search of the “Friendly Limousine” that would drive us to the hotel. For ¥6,000 (about $50.00) we purchased 2 tickets and were VERY ready to get settled into the hotel.
We hopped onto the limousine at 4:35 and figured we’d be at the hotel around 5:30. After driving through the equivalent of 4 New York cities, and sitting in rush hour that makes the beltway look like a country road, we arrived at the hotel a little after 7:00 PM (which was 6:00 AM EST) cranky, tired, and as I described it, “feeling like I wanted to scratch my face off” from frustration and exhaustion.
When we got to the hotel, Mikey and Haywood had not arrived, so we called Jim who came over with Shrimp and Mayonaise potato chips, Chinese food, flavored water and Pocky. Mike and Haywood arrived around 8:00 PM and we all decided to walk to downtown Shinjuku to get some Japanese food. We arrived at a place that Jim said was equivalent to “Japanese Dennys” and settled in. To my dismay, I had to take off my shoes (I didn’t have socks on) so walking around in a foreign country barefooted and jet lagged was not a great feeling. We sat for about an hour and had beer, fried octopus balls, pizza with corn, sashimi, a beef and noodle dish, and cheese and garlic bread. After stumbling back to the hotel more tired than I had ever been in my life and being awake for over 24 hours, we crashed.
No comments:
Post a Comment