When a few classmates razzed Rebekah Rice about her Mormon upbringing with questions such as, "Do you have 10 moms?" she shot back: "That's so gay."
After Rice got a warning and a notation in her file, her parents sued, claiming officials at Santa Rosa's Maria Carillo High violated their daughter's First Amendment rights when they disciplined her for uttering a phrase "which enjoys widespread currency in youth culture," according to court documents.
But school officials say they took a strict stand against the put down after two boys were paid to beat up a gay student the year before.
"The district has a statutory duty to protect gay students from harassment," the district's lawyers argued in a legal brief. "In furtherance of this goal, prohibition of the phrase 'That's so gay' ... was a reasonable regulation."
Rice's parents, Elden and Katherine Rice, also claim the public high school employed a double-standard because, they say, administrators never sought to shield Rebekah from teasing based on Mormon stereotypes.
Ok, granted... the suing of the school may have been a little much, and the expression "that's so gay" is not the most PC term in the world, but seriously -- giving a child a warning for saying "that's so gay" but turning a blind eye to the kids that were making fun of her religion?
4 comments:
This article is disgusting.
And so is the State of California.
They are so gay.... and I dont mean that in the same way this poor student did... I mean they are Pro-Homosexuality.
Is is right for people to prosecute someone over a personal choice, like sexuality.... no - unless it is putting others at risk and endangering...
But NBC, CBS, MTV, the Stat of CA and the lot would never stand up for Heterosexual Rights, Chrisitan Morals/Rights.... They love to put on more shows - produced in CA - about 16 year olds going on homosexual bus tour dates, promoting severe promiscuity at young people, juvenile deliquents, glorify celebrities who are bi-sexual drug users, and anything mocking Christian Philosophy.... They promote "Bling" and Sex.
It is all Gay.
And Obviously.... I ain't vrey PC.
re: sarah ... yes, the media excepting FOX don't stand up for Christian "Morals" ... but really, that's because true christian virtues are a terrible starting point for a marketing campaign.
Mijoy: I agree with the point and tone of the post and I feel very bad for the little girl getting razzed for her family's religion. It reminds me of the story I heard here. The story in act one of that episode of This American Life describes another kind of harassment of an elementary school girl for her religion. Check it out.
But school officials say they took a strict stand against the putdown after two boys were paid to beat up a gay student the year before.
So, it's just backlash, albeit excessive (and inconsistent) backlash.
Reminds me of this, which I saw just a week ago:
"Anyone who's played video games online in the past decade certainly hears this kind of talk for just about every minute of play."
So, yeah, a little unfair to make an example of this girl. In my mind, the use of those terms is the same thing as calling cheap people "jewish" or shoddily-made stuff "scotch." When it comes down to it, it's a slur that's been nominalized by common use (see also stuff that "sucks [dick]"). Racism was nominalized in our parents' generation, but we got away from that. This is the same kind of thing. The conflict over homosexuality will be viewed with the same disdain that we view people who had problems with the civil rights movement, I'm betting. This is the inflammatory (reactionary) issue of our time.
I didn't really think about my use of casual terms like, "that's gay" or "oh, they really raped me there" until I made those comments in front of people who were gay or had been raped (not the same group of people). Talking to someone for whom those normalized terms actually apply changes your perspective on things.
As for mormons: I love you and the wellspring of humor you provide. Good luck in the War on Caffeine.
re sarah: "...and the lot would never stand up for Heterosexual Rights, Chrisitan Morals/Rights"
I agree. The Homos in CA are keeping me from:
1) Making love to my wife. With such great programming such as The OC, Trading Spouses, and reruns of Melrose Place...I just can't pull myself away from quality programming from the Fox Network.
2) Going to church. They've blockaded the doors with Rainbow ribbons. Being my only means to talk to the almighty, I think He's become a little worried in my absence.
3) Thinking that conformity is the only option. Sears has completely stopped selling sock garters. This is morally reprehensible.
But Mormons are in trouble you see. Like Pasq242 pointed out, 2 boys were hired to beat up a mormon 2 weeks prior to the mentioned incident. I still can't believe the MSM has glossed over stories like when that one kid came out on Jenny Jones and admitted he was a mormon to his friend then his friend killed him out of embarrassment.
Now, back to the central thrust of the article. When reading it, one truism came to mind: Christians poking fun at Christians has always been accepted. Just look at Martin Luther and his 95 theses...that was some serious smack talk. Unlike the gays who choose to be gay, we christians became christian at birth. We are born into brotherhood. It's like the "N" word within the black community: If you are black, you can say it. Although I have NEVER heard ANY christian make fun of mormons EVER (especially not about how the church was founded or what they believe spiritually, EVER), it is understandable that the school administration chose NOT to suspend the other two christian kids. If they did, they would set a tangible and imminent threat to bringing up our kids. (Which wouldn't surprise me from CA) I mean would you want your kids to be suspended for defending the belief of transubstantiation?!
Post a Comment