Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Catherine Estelle Underwood

My grandmother passed away this morning. I'm still numb, really. She was the grand matriarch of the family, mother to 8 children, grandmother to 25, and great-grandmother to 13. Her family was the single most important thing to her and I am glad that she was surrounded by her loved ones today. She's not really gone, yet. I know that's odd to say, but it's true. They're keeping her alive long enough so they can take her liver for organ donation. She would have wanted that. One of her very closest friends was the liver reciepient from my uncle who passed away 15 years ago in a car accident. Since meeting Evelyn, my grandmother has been a champion for organ donation and I think it's only appropriate that her liver be the only organ that she is able to give. For one reason, because she took good care of it. She never had a drop of alcohol in her life. For a second reason, because she had such a bond with my uncle's recipient, it is only fitting. She would have wanted it that way.

It's so strange what the human mind thinks when they hear of a death for the first time. When we got the call from my Mom this morning, my first thought was, "I'm glad it's not my Dad." My second thought was, "I have to call work," because I had a meeting that morning. My last thought was "We don't have any Kleenexes." So I had John go to Food Lion to get me some. Odd.

*Sigh*.

No comments: