I can remember a while ago when I was in highschool, I was talking to my brother about friendships. I was telling him that I had a lot of good friends and I guess I was somewhat proud of that. During the course of that conversation he said, "You don't have any good friends unless you can call one of them at 3:00 AM and ask them to get out of bed and drive to help you change a tire." I remember thinking about that long and hard and I remember thinking at the time that not one single one of my "good friends" would have been willing to do that.
Since then, I have thought about that statement a lot and as silly as it seems, I think he really does have a point. His point was, a true friend is willing to completely inconvienance themselves for you because you are in need. I have often wondered not only who would do that for me, but who I would be willing to do that FOR. I've even thought of things such as, "Well, if I had a big meeting the next morning, I probably would only do it for XYZ, but if it was a weekend, then I'd definatly do it for ABC."
My brother probably never remembers saying this to me, but for me, this has been something that has stuck with me for the past 10 years or so. I think perhaps my greatest fear is that one day, I won't have anyone to help me at 3:00 AM-- and I will be devastated not for the lack of help, but for the lack of friends.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Oh - get over yourself!
You have tons of pals... and at least if you were in need Jordan, Jen and I would help at 3am....
Did your brother ever tell you that you were a neurotic mess sometimes? Mine did! :)
Awww, I know you would. Thanks, Syrup.
And yes, my entire family reminds me every day what a neurotic mess I am -- who do you think made me this way!?
Friendship isn't changing the tire. Friendship is carjacking some other poor fuck for his tires.
Friendship is one of those things I can dissect infinitely. Lemme know if you'd like to.
Post a Comment