Thursday, November 30, 2006

Who Really Cares

There is a new book out called, "Who Really Cares". I haven't read it yet, but just watched a 20/20 special on it. What the book has in it, was quite intriguing. The book compiles hundreds of statistics about charitable giving in the United States and who gives the most. What was surprising to many, is that conservatives give the most (most in money, their time, and even in giving blood) -- even though liberals make an average of 6% more than conservatives. Of the 25 states that give the most, 24 of them voted Republican. How odd that is, considering the richest states were not among the top 25. 20/20 suggested this was the case because liberals believe the government should be responsible for giving aid, and conservatives feel it should be the citizens' responsibility.

The 20/20 show went on to say that our government gives the most foreign aid of any other country in dollars. However, it is very low ranked when it comes to percentage of worth. But when you talk about citizens giving percentages of income to charity, Americans give a much higher percentage of their income than any other nation. During the tsunami, the US gave 900 million in aid -- however, Americans independently gave 2 billion. Why should our government always be responsible for giving? Don't we as Americans have an obligation to help our fellow man? I would much rather see our government cut foreign aid altogether, but then lower taxes so that Americans can give MORE.

So -- how much do you give? At my church, our priest recommends that each family give 1 hour of their salary to charity each week and that they volunteer their time in at least one charity. I have always thought that was a good starting point and have found it very easy over the years to automatically increase my donations each time myself or John gets a raise. We are so very fortunate to live the lives we do here in America. Isn't it time we started giving more?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I don't see why it is so fascinating that "conservatives" give the most. I would expect that most of them give in some kind of repeating, regular situation ... like at church.

My parents give weekly to their church and the church keeps track of how much each person gives so that at the end of the year they can get a tax recipt. There is a part of me that feels like that is hyporcitical. I feel like it leads to reciprocity. Thus, I prefer to make all of my charitable donations anonymously. Tax write-off be damned.

Further, one of the key differences of opinion between today's Democrats and Republicans is how social assistance should be administered. Democrats, being more secular, want to leverage the strength of all citizens and fund social assistance through the government. There are some important problems with this approach. Republicans, being more religous (generally), want to fund independent programs that offer assistance alongside a message of some sort. There are also important problems with this approach. Libertarians (I am not one, but I like a lot of their ideas), would side with the Republicans and lower the tax burden by not providing such assistance through the government. They would probably also want to remove the tax benefit for giving to charity.

The church I was brought up in pulled ten percent out of some bible verse as the starting place for giving. More times than I can remember I've heard the phrase "give till it hurts". Of course, in a religion based on fear and guilt that approach should work out well. I rather like your priest's suggestion of 1 hour salary + 1 hour time. That happens to be not too far of from my reality.

Anonymous said...

Hm... I am not sure how I feel about eliminating the tax write off for giving to charity. In one way, yes, it is the government giving assistance. However, in another way, it allows us to give MORE. Tax write-off or not, I will always give to charity, tax write-off or not. However, because I know that I can deduct my contributions, I am always apt to give more when I do give. It's kind of like when certain organizations say they will match your donation -- the government is "matching" your donation by enabling you to write it off on your taxes. I dont see it as hypocritical at all -- I see it as a way to give more.

Politics and religion aside, another interesting statistic on the 20/20 show was that the working poor tend to give a higher percentage to charity than any other class. Do you think it is hypocritical of them to tax deduct what they give? Perhaps the only way they can give is if they do tax-deduct it.

Just a thought.