Saturday, July 23, 2005

Catholicism.

When I talk to non-Catholics, I get so many questions from them that actually get me to think. I really enjoy when people question my faith, because it allows ME to question it as well. Questioning faith is a fantastic way to grow in faith. Someone just asked me the other day, "What happens if you ask the wrong Saint for the wrong thing?" Like, if you ask the Patron Saint of Tulips for help with your Rose Garden, does that petition get answered? I thought that was a really good question -- I still don't have an answer for that. I'm assuming the Saints have this cool little workflow system where they just pass the wrong requests on to the right person. I dunno.

Anyway, my church priest has a question box in the back of the church and every week, he posts the answers to the questions asked the week before in the bulletin. It's really an awesome thing, especially because he addresses each and every comment in the box -- no matter what.

Here's one that I thought was interesting:

Question 6 - Since the man who invented ... (Another pathetic (and sinful) attempt at humor) ...

Answer - The handwriting suggests that it was a young person. I am caught among a number of options available to me. Do I ridicule you with sarcasm? Do I criticize you for your vulgarity? Do I call into question the quality of your home life? Do I suggest that the parish has failed you by not engaging you and your relationship with God? Do I pray and do penance for you? Do I assume that you are one of bored and indifferent young people that our culture produces and who seem to take far too long to grow up? Do you need therapy? Do you need a hug? Do your parents know how sad you really are? Can I help? What do I say?

Your question does bring to mind this passage from the New Testament: "2: And walk in love, as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us, a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God. 3: But fornication and all impurity or covetousness must not even be named among you, as is fitting among saints. 4: Let there be no filthiness, nor silly talk, nor levity, which are not fitting; but instead let there be thanksgiving ... 6: Let no one deceive you with empty words, for it is because of these things that the wrath of God comes upon the sons of disobedience ... 11: Take no part in the unfruitful works of darkness, but instead expose them. 12: For it is a shame even to speak of the things that they do in secret." (Eph. 5:2-4,6,11-12)

In any event, I used to be able to say, that of the questions and comments I find in the box, I print all of them (or at least most of their substance). No longer. I am sad. :(

Here's one that is just random (written by a child, I assume):

Q: How many brothers do you have and what does sacrilegious mean?

A: I have three brothers. I am the second oldest. Sacrilegious means treating holy things in an unholy way.

If you're interested in reading more questions and answers, you can look at the archives here.



No comments: