Saturday, July 02, 2005

Happy Anniversary, John

6 years ago today, John and I went on our first date. Man, how time flies! This is a poem I wrote a few months later about the experience and my interning days at USI, now Integic, a Northrop Grumman Company.

Universal Systems Inc., Administrative Assistant, Human Resources

8:45-My green civic screeches to a halt and I run into
the building. Jane, the receptionist greets me with
a smile and I run through the second set of glass doors, into the first
cubicle on the left. 8:51-As my computer boots, I check my
phone messages and say hello to Debbi, whose office is right across
from my cube. She asks me about my date last night. I tell her
it was great. 8:59-I make my way through the glass doors again,
smile at Jane, and turn left down a long carpeted hallway in search
of that greatly needed cup of coffee. Third door on the left. Mike
is standing at the sink, sipping something. "How was your
date?" I smile at those serene blue eyes. "Wouldn't you like to
know?" 9:05-Thump, thump, thump...my high heels move quickly
on the red carpet, the coffee already starting to scorch my hand through
the thin paper cup. 9:06-Sitting at my computer, I check my
email. "Just wanted to let you know I had a great time last
night. Love, John." There's always something magical
about a good first date. 9:10-Ring! "Hello, USI
this is Michelle speaking...yes, I have that report right here."
9:15-Clack, clack, clack...I have to enter the interview dates
for all employees since 1996. 10:40-Clack, clack,
clack. 11:30-Clack, clack, clack. 12:00-Ring! "You ready for
lunch?" "Yes." Through the glass doors, into the hallway thump,
thump, thump...and into the parking lot. Mike and I wait
for John. 12:10-Mike and I wait for John. 12:15-The '64 Mercedes tears
into the parking lot and stops just long enough for us
to get in. My long hair flies out the window as we take off
and I curse myself again for forgetting to bring a ponytail holder.
Maggie May bring us another beer, we need another--The Pietasters are blaring
but John pauses the song just long enough to look
into the rearview mirror at Mike and say, "Where to?"
We all shrug. "Gyro place it is!"
beer, take away our troubles here... 12:25-Whump! Whump! Whump!
We get out of the car and follow the beckoning smell of soft pita bread
and spiced lamb's meat. We find a table by the window and look over
the whole menu, even though we all know we're going to order
a number six. My eyes shift from Mike to John and back
again. 12:30-"So guys, tell me about your date last night,
what did you do?" I look at John and smile. 12:45-The waitress brings
out three gyro platters and our drinks. Mike with Coke, John with
Dr. Pepper, and me with Ginger Ale. 1:30-Mike and I scurry
back into the building, already a half hour late and dissolve
into our separate wings of the building. 1:35-Clack, clack,
clack. 2:27-Clack, clack, clack. 3:03-Ring! "Hello, USI
this is Michelle speaking...Hi John! I'd love to get dinner tonight...
ok...I'll see you then." 3:05-Clack, clack, clack. 4:20-My boss enters
my cubicle. "How are those interview dates coming?" "I'm on
1998," I reply. 4:21-Clack, clack, clack. 5:00-Mike walks in and sits
in an empty chair. "You wanna go rollerblading?" I smile,
"No, I'm going out with John tonight." "So the date was that good
huh?" "Yes, it was really good." 5:02-I turn off
my computer and fill in my timesheet with a "6.5". "We've got
to take shorter lunches, Mike." "That we do." 5:05-I wait for John.
5:07-I wait
for John. 5:10-The now familiar Mercedes pulls up and I hop
in letting the wind carry my hair away.