Sunday, June 19, 2005

Mi Friends, Su Friends

John and I had an interesting conversation last night with Rob and Julie and Dawn. We were talking about the fact that I've always called John's friends just that -- John's friends. It wasn't until very recently that I actually started to understand that John's friends have become my friends too.

Last night at Jamie's party, Delvaux kept remarking that I was "still here" and that I "hadn't left yet" and why was I "staying so long?" What he meant was, "Gee Michelle, you're either never here, or when you are, you leave way too freakin early. Why is tonight different?"

The way I always looked at it is, in marraige you need your space. I had always made it a point to not be the annoying wife and always have to be hanging around John all the time. Therefore, when we got married, I wanted him to have his time with HIS friends and be able to let loose every now and then. That soon got interpreted to John's friends as, "WTF, why doesn't Michelle want to hang out with us?" That was never the case-- I was just trying to give John his space.

So, at Rob's wedding I actually decided to go out of my element and talk to people (people meaning a drunken Gill that has no recollection of our conversation). After that, I have been trying to come out of my proverbial shell and actually be social. I have since realized that John has a really really great thing going with his friends and that for once in my life, I can actually call them my friends too.

So, like it or not Foundation, I think you'll be seeing more of me.

1 comment:

pasq242 said...

YAYAYYAAYAYAY

Good. :D