Although I've labeled myself as a self-proclaimed Republican, I do concern myself with the environment a lot more than most Right-Wingers. I am very intrigued by recycling, hybrid technology and "living off the land." One of the things that I came across in my quest to research tropical rainforests is a rainforest plantation. This place is really cool-- it combines two things I love -- nature and capitalism!
In an effort to save the rainforests, this company is buying a bunch of land in Costa Rica and planting rare Tropical Trees for farming. The idea behind it is that you buy trees (a hundred or so at a time) and they will take care of them for you. Every couple of years, they will cut them down (tree doctors carefully select which ones will go) and sell them for you. Then they'll mail you a check.
It's a pretty cool concept. The plantation has managed to re-grow a lot of previously stripped land and they are buying more and more land everyday. In addition, it has restored a lot of wildlife to the area. Because the trees are harvested in controlled amounts, the survival of the forests will continue to grow. In addition, as the demand for hardwoods grows, using plantation trees will continue to save the wild rainforests.
Pretty cool concept. I really want to invest in some, but just have to convince John. :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment